- NDSU scored its first dual victory over the season 19-16 over the Central Michigan Chippewas on Sunday afternoon in the Sanford Health Activities Center. The Bison and Chippewas split the first eight matches 4-4, with two bonus point victories giving Central Michigan a 16-12 lead. NDSU 197 Cordell Eaton tied the match at 16 with a 13-5 major decision over Landon Pelham, and Bison 286 Dan Stibral sealed the deal with a 3-1 win over Matt Stencel. In the highlight match of the afternoon, Central Michigan’s #3 ranked Justin Oliver scored an 8-6 decision over Kyle Gliva. Oliver was Cliff Keen Invitational champion last weekend.
- Minot State was defeated by #9 ranked Upper Iowa on Sunday 34-12. The Beavers got victories from Carlos Toledano (165), Keegan Berry (184), and Mitch Eull (285) in the loss. Seniors Toledano and Eull went 2-0 against stiff NSIC competition over the weekend. Minot State is finished for Christmas, and will go to Dickinson for a match with Dickinson State on January 12.
- The University of Mary weren’t able to replicate the magic they produced in beating #9 Upper Iowa Saturday. The Marauders were defeated by #19 MSU Mankato 23-13. Mary lost two key swing matches early and it proved too much to overcome. At 125, Mary’s Nate Humann was edged 6-5 by Andrew McFall. After Tate Barnhardt got Mary on the board with a decision at 133, Marauder Hunter Eckert took an early lead and nearly score a fall, but was pinned by Mankato’s Louie Sanders. Mary’s #2 ranked Rudy Guillen was tested by Mankato’s Kyle Rathman, but Guillen was able to hold strong and grab a 6-5 victory. Phil Springsteen continued his dominance at 165, scoring a technical fall victory over Mankato’s Dylan Herman. Mary lost three matches in a row from 174-197, but Dom Tudor finished the dual with a Marauder victory. Tudor won by decision over Logan Linderbaum 4-1. Mary is in action next weekend at the Midwest Classic in Indianapolis, IN.
- NDSU placed two wrestlers at the UNI Open on Saturday; Both at 174 pounds. Iowa native Colton Clingenpeel had his best outing of the season for the Bison, finishing 4-1 on the day and defeating Brady Vogel of Iowa Central Community College 9-6 in the third place match. Wrestling unattached, West Fargo native Jesse Shearer won his first two matches before dropping a semifinal bout to Iowa State’s Marcus Coleman. Shearer then lost both matches on the backside and finished sixth. Brandon Metz was seeded first at 285, but fell in the second round tow Wisconsin’s Trent Hilger 4-3 in the Ultimate Tiebreaker. Metz then won one backside match before being upended by South Dakota State redshirt Kevin Vough via fall in 2:45. Metz defeated Vough for the Dragon Open title last Saturday.
- Ryan Blees was back in action for Virginia Tech after missing the mast three month with an injury. Blees gave up a 14-2 major decision to Princeton’s Mike D’Angelo on Sunday in the Hokies 26-12 dual win.
Sunday Box Scores
NDSU 19 Central Michigan 16
125—Paul Bianchi (NDSU) dec Drew Hildebrandt (CMU), 5-1
133—#22 Cam Sykora (NDSU) dec Dresden Simon (CMU), 11-5
141—#20 Mason Smith (CMU) fall Sam Hampton (NDSU), 4:14
149—#3 Justin Oliver (CMU) dec Kyle Gliva (NDSU), 8-6
157—#15 Clay Ream (NDSU) dec Blake Montrie (CMU), 6-1
165—#16 Andrew Fogarty (NDSU) dec Logan Parks (CMU), 9-5
174—#15 CJ Brucki (CMU) major dec Charley Popp (NDSU), MD 13-5
184—#14 Jordan Ellingwood (CMU) dec Cole Witzig (NDSU), 4-0
197—Cordell Eaton (NDSU) major dec Landon Pelham (CMU), MD 13-5
285—Dan Stibral (NDSU) dec Matt Stencel (CMU), 3-1
Mankato 23- Mary 13
125: Andrew McFall (MSM) over Nate Humann (MARY) (Dec 6-5)
133: Tate Barnhardt (MARY) over George Farmah (MSM) (Dec 3-0)
141: Louie Sanders (MSM) over Hunter Eckert (MARY) (Fall 2:51)
149: Rudy Guillen (MARY) over Kyle Rathman (MSM) (Dec 7-6)
157: Justin Schultz (MSM) over Jordan Hegel (MARY) (Dec 5-3)
165: Phillip Springsteen (MARY) over Dylan Herman (MSM) (TF 15-0 7:00)
174: Zach Johnston (MSM) over Austin Eichmann (MARY) (Dec 6-2)
184: Corey Abernathy (MSM) over Jackson Schichel (MARY) (MD 12-0)
197: Matt Blome (MSM) over Emmitt Brooks (MARY) (MD 12-0)
285: Dominic Tudor (MARY) over Logan Linderbaum (MSM) (Dec 4-1)
Upper Iowa 34 Minot State 12
149 — #9 Damian Penichet (UIU) def. Tanner Crissler (MINOT) MD 13-0, UIU 4-0
157 — #11 Brock Benitz (UIU) def. Zach Berry (MINOT) by fall 1:34, UIU 10-0
165 — Carlos Toledano (MINOT) def. Cody Nelson (UIU) by fall 3:48, UIU 10-6
174 — Jordan Gundrum (UIU) def. Parker Osterman (MINOT) MD 8-0, UIU 14-6
184 — Keegan Berry (MINOT) def. Jamie Gehling (UIU) D SV1 3-1, UIU 14-9
197 — Nick Baumler (UIU) def. Briley Crissler (MINOT) D 6-2, UIU 17-9
285 – Mitchell Eull (MINOT) def. Triston Westerlund (UIU) D SV1 5-3, UIU 17-12
125 – #6 Maleek Williams (UIU) def. Dean Arevalo (MINOT) by fall 2:28, UIU 23-12
133 — #5 Josh Walker (UIU) def. Michael Rangel (MINOT) TF 20-2, UIU 28-12
141 – Hunter Slifka (UIU) def. Marco Antonio Ramirezlazos (MINOT) by fall 3:49, UIU 34-12