*Article Courtest Minot State Athletics
MINOT, N.D. – The winning momentum carried into the weekend for the Beavers as the Minot State wrestling team defeated Southwest Minnesota State 29-12 at the Minot State Dome on Saturday afternoon.
The Beavers improved to 5-9 on the season, including 2-5 in NSIC contests while the Mustangs drop to 1-7 (1-6 NSIC).
How It Happened
- Dean Arevalo opened the dual with a come-from-behind victory in the opening match to give the Beavers an early nod. Arevalo overcame a six-point deficit to win 9-8.
- The Beavers added to the lead quickly after when Oscar Nellis picked up a 5-0 win.
- Senior Jered Sublet doubled the Minot State lead with a pin in the third period to give the Beaves a 12-0 advantage.
- Senior Tanner Crissler added four points to the Beaver total with a near fall against SMSU’s Justin Haneke.
- SMSU scored their points of the dual when Cortez Arredondo pinned Minot State’s Max Miller, trimming the Beaver lead to 10.
- MSU’s Nathan Baca answered with a pin of his own to extend the Beaver lead back to 16.
- The Mustangs got three points back in back-to-back matches to make the score 22-12 heading into the final match.
- Jordan Will capped the dual with a three-point win over Andrew Peterson to give the Beavers a 29-12 victory on Saturday.
The Beavers host Augustana tomorrow on Senior Day at the Minot State Dome at 2 p.m. Minot State will recognize its three seniors (Jered Sublet, Tanner Crissler and Anthony Raupp) for their efforts and contributions to the program over the course of their careers.