The day could have gone better, but in the end NDSU advanced two wrestlers to the second day of competition at the NCAA Division I wrestling champions in Cleveland, Ohio, Thursday. Clay Ream (157) and Andrew Fogarty (165) both need three victories in tomorrow’s consolation round to gain All American honors. Paul Bianchi (125) and Cam Sykora (133) were both eliminated in Thursday’s evening session. Bianchi was 0-2 in his first trip to the nationals. Sykora won a pigtail match 11-3 over Ohio’s Cameron Kelly before dropping consecutive matches and being eliminated.
Seeded eleventh, Ream was upset in the first round for the second consecutive year by Stanford All American Paul Fox. Fox scored a penalty point and takedown in the first period, and though Ream scored a takedown of his own in the second, the NDSU product was unable to even the score in the third period and lost 4-2. In the wrestlebacks, Ream avenged a loss from the Cliff Keen Invite with a 12-5 decision over Cal State Bakersfield’s Coleman Hammond. Ream will wrestle Duke’s Mitch Finesilver tomorrow in wrestle back round two.
Fogarty was defeated by fifteen seed Anthony Valencia of Arizona State 13-4 in the first round, but rebounded for a 5-1 victory over Duke’s Zach Finesilver. The Scott West (MN) product will wrestle sixteen seed Jonathan Chavez of Cornell in the opening round of wrestlebacks tomorrow.
NDSU NCAA TOURNAMENT DAY 1 RESULTS
Paul Bianchi (24-15) place is unknown and scored 0.00 team points.
- Champ. Round 1 – Louie Hayes (Virginia) 31-6 won by major decision over Paul Bianchi (North Dakota State) 24-15 (MD 14-1)
- Cons. Round 1 – Michael McGee (Old Dominion) 29-9 won by decision over Paul Bianchi (North Dakota State) 24-15 (Dec 7-4)
Cam Sykora (23-12) place is unknown and scored 2.00 team points.
- Prelim – Cam Sykora (North Dakota State) 23-12 won by major decision over Cameron Kelly (Ohio) 25-8 (MD 11-3)
- Champ. Round 1 – Scott Parker (Lehigh) 20-3 won in tie breaker – 1 over Cam Sykora (North Dakota State) 23-12 (TB-1 2-1)
- Cons. Round 1 – Corey Keener (Penn State) 17-9 won by decision over Cam Sykora (North Dakota State) 23-12 (Dec 9-7)
Clayton Ream (24-5) place is unknown and scored 0.50 team points.
- Champ. Round 1 – Paul Fox (Stanford) 21-8 won by decision over Clayton Ream (North Dakota State) 24-5 (Dec 4-2)
- Cons. Round 1 – Clayton Ream (North Dakota State) 24-5 won by decision over Coleman Hammond (CSU Bakersfield) 27-15 (Dec 12-5)
Andrew Fogarty (30-11) place is unknown and scored 0.50 team points.
- Champ. Round 1 – Anthony Valencia (Arizona State) 26-9 won by major decision over Andrew Fogarty (North Dakota State) 30-11 (MD 13-4)
- Cons. Round 1 – Andrew Fogarty (North Dakota State) 30-11 won by decision over Zach Finesilver (Duke) 12-13 (Dec 5-1)